Tuesday, November 8, 2011

High Expectations...from Sophomore Wes McKenzie

As a returning player, I’m as excited as anyone for this season. We have a great core group returning from last year. We’ve been through the grind of a full season, experienced the highs and lows, and recognize how to approach a new year. We see this new season as a chance to redeem ourselves. In a team meeting this year, Coach Reed brought up the atmosphere in the locker room after our loss to Lamar last year. That game lost us the opportunity to play in the region tournament and ended our season. Coach Reed described to us how he uses the memory, of how that locker room felt, to drive him. Personally, this was very motivational. I was reminded of how last year ended and decided we couldn’t let it happen again.
As returners, we are very excited about the group our coaches have brought together. The coaching staff has brought in a couple of transfers and recruited some hard working freshmen. Our young guys are talented and learning at a fast rate. I appreciate how eager they are to work and get things right. Our new guys all bring great energy every day. We are all excited about the potential this year’s team has. I feel a good sense of concentration and drive from everyone, which could make for a special team.  However, we still have a ton of work to do. We haven’t proven anything yet.
Our coaching staff has been great this year. Coach Snyder did an amazing job in the weight room, getting us in shape while adding a little self discipline. Coach O’Connor has done a great job with the guards. He never lets us settle and always pushes us to reach our full potential. Coach O’C always reminds us of the high level we must play at as guards. Coach Reed is the man. I’ve never respected a coach more than I respect Coach Reed. He makes an effort to build a relationship with every player and never treats any player different than another. My respect for him makes me play harder, which makes me better, which helps me reach my potential. What more could you ask for in a coach?
Lastly, our fans are OFF THE CHAIN. I guarantee our gym will be one of the toughest places to play in our entire region. Our fans make a huge difference and we really appreciate their support. I’ve never been more excited for a season of basketball than I am for this year. I feel that God has definitely blessed me in many ways. I couldn’t ask for a better situation. We can’t wait to play in front of our home crowd and represent for Otero on the road. Either way, we’ll be doing all that we can to achieve our goals. As a team, we are focused on constant, daily improvement. HIGH EXPECTATIONS.

No comments:

Post a Comment